Is being a refugee the end of someone’s life? I hope not. Being a refugee is caused by different things including discrimination, political opinion or membership, political instability and so on. Some people then judge refugees as they don’t successfully perform or achieve things the same way as other people can do. However, it is a different story. I, myself, am going to tell you my story as a refugee from Mahama Refugee Camp.
It was in 2015, when it started some political instability in our homeland because our president wanted to run for the third mandate. Due to that situation, I found myself a refugee in Rwanda country. It was not easy seeing some people being tortured or killed for no reason. Arriving in Rwanda, I found everything different from what I used to see. Can you guess what happened? Everything was in English and I had a low level of it. I wouldn’t even say one word using it. But as the time went on, I found myself speaking it at a good level. Another thing I noticed is that being a refugee gave me a quick and good ability of thinking. I now get a time and think about my future more than I used to do before. Not only that, but also, I take my time to look for different opportunities that come towards me. I do believe that my future will be bright as I am acquiring different skills that are needed at the workplace at a good university.
Do you think I had any idea of continuing my studies? For sure not. Since I arrived in Rwanda, I was seeing everything in a dark mode. I was not sure whether I will get a chance of still studying or not. But I finally stepped in school again, and I am doing all my best. Never try then to put down someone or think bad of him due how he is living or which situation he is in. consider each and every one as he is able and can perform everything.